Eye makeup is actually a kind of Art. Beside certain skills, you should better know where to apply darker or lighter shadows and how to draw a straight line. Here is a compilation of the best eye makeup secrets.
1. Determine your eye shape!
This is the first step to figuring out where and how you should apply eye makeup.
2. Instead of looking straight ahead in a mirror, tilt your head up and look down as you apply your eyeliner.
By doing this, you’ll get a better look at whether or not your wings are symmetrical.
3. Add some height to the arch of your eyebrows by blending highlighter directly under your brow.
To maximize the effect, be careful not to over blend.
4. Similarly, give your eyes a lift by applying illuminator just above the brow.
The highlighter will help to draw attention to the highest point of the brow, thus making it look like you got an “eye lift.”
5. For easy eyeliner application, dot your lashes and connect them with a brush to create an even stroke.
If you don’t have a great brush, try a gel eyeliner with an angled brush for greater accuracy.
6. Keep it dotted for a more nuanced look.
To get the full effect, only add about 4-6 dots to each eye.
7. Tightline your eyes with white, nude, and black to “change” the shape of your eyes.
White eyeliner will open up your eyes, making them look bigger, whereas black liner will close up your eyes, making them tighter and fiercer.
8. Make the shape look different by only outlining certain areas:
There’s no right way to do your eyeliner: play around with it because eyeliner sets the boundaries of your eyes. You can alter your natural eye shape with eyeliner. If your eyes are close set, you can give the illusion of them being further apart by applying eyeliner to only the outside corners.
9. If you want your eyes to look bigger, place your crease shadow a little higher than your natural crease.
10. Add a neutral or white base to your lids to intensify your eyeshadow and also to make it last longer.
11. If you want a smokier look, smudge some black base shadow over your lids and put your colored eyeshadow over top. Remember to blend!
If you don’t want to buy anything, you can also use your regular black eyeliner. Just apply it over your lids and use a buffing brush to blend it in with your other eyeshadow colors.
12. Use your shadow brushes with medium pressure to your lid and light pressure to your crease.
Basically, the shape of the brush shouldn’t change when you’re pressing onto your lids.
13. Fully curl your lashes by pinching at the base and then pinching again with the curler inverted.
Curling your lashes with the curler inverted really gives your lashes a boost.
14. Apply two coats of mascara but make sure the first coat dries before applying the second.
It’s a good way to really plump up your eyelashes without falsies.
15. If your eyes are red, add an eye liner with a blue undertone to highlight the whites in your eyes.
Add a navy blue eye liner to your top lash and a light blue pencil to your waterline to really cut the redness in your eyes.
16. Play around with bright eyeliner by only applying it to certain areas:
Bright eye makeup isn’t just for your eyelids!
17. For an easy ombre liner, use three liners from the same gradient color group and apply them horizontally.
Just be sure to not over blend the three different shades.
19. Put your eyeliner or brow pencils in the freezer before you sharpen them.
Freezing your pencils might make it easier to draw on your lids as well.
20. If you only want one thing that’ll upgrade your makeup, invest in white eyeliner.
21. And here’s perhaps the best tip on eye makeup.